It's day two of my 12-day detox. What I miss most on this diet is having a little piece of dark chocolate after my lunch. Everything else is manageable. I've actually been fantasizing about secretly placing a square of chocolate in my mouth and quietly letting it dissolve. Who would ever know?
Ok, I'm talking about chocolate again when all I want to do is tell you about detox recipe No. 2 -- broccoli & chickpea brown rice pasta. A dish I'd usually eat with normal spaghetti noodles tossed with pesto and loads of freshly shaved Parmigiano Reggiano. But not this week or next week. To make up for the lack of pesto or cheese, I add a can of tuna in oil.
Stay tuned for more detox recipes...
Broccoli & Chickpea Brown Rice Pasta
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 medium brown onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp of dried chilli flakes
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 large head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinse
3/4 tsp of sea salt
1 can of tuna in oil (optional)
A handful of basil, roughly chopped
Brown rice pasta for 4
Juice of half a lemon
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Saute the onion until translucent -- about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Add broccoli florets and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender but crisp, about 7 to 8 minutes.To help the broccoli cook, you can spoon a tablespoon of water into the saucepan and then cover it for several minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas and tuna (optional) and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat while you cook the pasta.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Add pasta and reserved cooking water to broccoli and chickpeas in saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute, stirring, until combined. Add chopped basil and stir again.
- Just before serving, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.