Sometimes it's nice to eat something special for no special reason. Whether it's when you want to impress or just because, this roasted garlic & prawn pasta is delicious in its simplicity.
The tomato sauce is a mixture of fresh, ripe roma tomatoes, sweet basil, onion, roasted garlic and chili flakes. The prawns are lightly sautéed in butter and white wine and then mixed in with the sauce just before serving.
The pasta is fresh angel hair that I buy from my local Italian grocer.
Roasted Garlic & Prawn Pasta Recipe
20 prawns, shelled & deveined
4-5 ripe Roma tomatoes, diced
6 cloves of garlic
1 medium white onion, diced
A handful of fresh sweet basil, roughly chopped
1 tsp of chili flakes
60 ml of dry white wine
1 tsp of sea salt
3 tbs of olive oil
Fresh pasta for 4
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Wrap the garlic in foil and then roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Once ready, remove from oven and let the garlic cool. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins and set aside. Discard the skins.
- Heat 2 tbs of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Saute the onions for 5 minutes. Add the chili flakes and fry for another minute. Add the roasted garlic and fry for about 40 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pan and turn down the heat slightly. Gently fry for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil. This is for the pasta. If you're using fresh pasta then it only requires about 4 minutes of cooking. I like to have to water ready so I can cook the pasta just before the sauce and prawns are ready.
- Now for the prawns -- they should be cooked last or at the same time the pasta is cooking.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a frypan over a medium heat. Once the oil gets all swirly in the pan, throw in the prawns. Saute them for about 30 seconds and then add the wine. Shake the pan to move the prawns around for about 40 seconds and then remove them from the heat.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the tomato sauce. Throw in the prawns and stir well to coat them in the sauce. Add a handful of freshly chopped sweet basil and then serve immediately.