These golden muffins were an essential source of fuel on our recent trip. They kept us going for 4 days of, at times, gruelling canoeing in the rain.
They were bumped around in a bag, and often not kept in an airtight container, yet they were still moist and delicious throughout their ordeal...and ours.
I should mention: as these were our main energy source for the better part of a week, this recipe makes quite a few (24 to be exact). For less strenuous times, halve the ingredients' quantities.
Canoeing Cornmeal Muffins
4 cups of unbleached flour
2 cups of cornmeal
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tbs baking soda
2 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp of sea salt
4 cups of buttermilk
1/2 cup of corn oil
3 large eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, oil and eggs together well. Add to the dry mixture and stir.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Bake for about 15 -20 minutes or until golden and firm to touch.