This is a recipe adapted from the Cooking Moroccan cookbook. We had originally given the book to some friends as a birthday present and when they cooked us some dishes from it, I promptly raced out and bought one myself.
A Tagine is a stewed dish that is cooked in a heavy based shallow clay pot with a conical lid. The lid is cleverly crafted so that the condensation returns back into the bottom of the pot. Hours of slow cooking at low temperatures result in tender fall off the bone meat and fragrant vegetables.
If you don't have a Tagine, then a large saucepan or soup pot with a cover will work just fine. For this recipe I also added water as I like a bit more sauce to mix in with the accompanying couscous.
Butternut Squash & Chickpea Tagine Recipe
1 can of chickpeas, drained & washed
10 vine ripened cherry tomatoes
1 medium Butternut squash, peeled & cut into 2 inch chunks
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbs of finely chopped parsley
2 tbs of finely chopped coriander and more for garnish
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp of tomato paste
1/2 tsp of sugar
1 1/2 tsp of sea salt
1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
2 cups of water
- Finely chop the coriander and parsley. Set Aside. Peel the squash and cut into 4 x 4 cm pieces.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Heat the oil in the pot and add the onion. Cook over a low heat until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 20 seconds, then add the cumin, tumeric and cayenne pepper. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
- Add the paprika, tomato paste, sugar and half the coriander, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Add the tomatoes and the drained chickpeas. Stir and then add the pumpkin and the water, stir and then cover with the lid. Once simmering, turn the heat down to low and cook covered for 35 minutes.
- Cook couscous according to packet instructions with vegetable or chicken stock.
- Just before serving, garnish tagine with more coriander or parsley and serve with couscous.
1 cup of couscous
1/3 cup of raisins
1 handful of Pinenuts
1 handful of chopped mint
1 cup of vegetable stock
- Bring the vegetable stock to the boil. Add the couscous and stir once. Cover and take off the heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the couscous up with a fork. Add the pinenuts, raisins and chopped mint.
- Fluff the couscous again and then serve with the Tagine.