This simple yet always filling Thai red curry consists of ground beef, bamboo shoots and Thai basil. I often plan to make it if I know I am going to be home late and need to whip something up quickly. And in that case, I use canned bamboo shoots instead of fresh ones. To be honest, the canned version taste just as good and manage to retain their fantastic crunch. The beef can be substituted with chicken or pork but I find beef makes it a little more hearty. The recipe is from the comprehensive Thai Table website.
Thai Beef and Bamboo Shoot Curry Recipe
250 gm lean beef mince
2 tbs red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
2 tbs Thai fish sauce
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup of holy basil
2 fresh bamboo Shoots or 1 can of bamboo shoots
- Wash and cut bamboo shoots into small pieces along the grain.
- Pour half the can of coconut milk into a large pot, over low to medium low heat.
- Add the red curry paste. Break up the paste and mix it with coconut milk thoroughly. Stir constantly.
- Add ground beef when you see red oil bubbling on top. Stir and coat ground beef with curry sauce.
- Add bamboo shoots when beef starts to brown. Stir the bamboo shoots in. Add the rest of the coconut milk and water and the fish sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then stir through the basil.
- Serve hot with rice.